Here is one of my favourite low cal meal. It’s 80 calories per serving - a quick and easy mushroom stroganoff which feels like a proper meal and keeps you full for ages!
100ml boiling water
1 beef stock cube 25 cal
1-cal cooking spray
1 onion, peeled and finely chopped 38 cals
2 garlic cloves chopped or crushed 4 cals
1 teaspoon smoked paprika 6 cals
100g mushrooms–closed cup 32 cals
100g mushrooms–chesstnut 32 cals
A squeeze lemon juice
2 tbsp reduced-fat crème fraîche 52 cals
salt and pepper
Optional – chopped parsley
Optional – 100g boiled rice 131 cals
- Spray a non-stick pan with the 1-cal cooking spray and put it on a medium/high heat.
- Cook the onion for 2 to 3 minutes until they’re soft.
- Add the garlic and paprika and cook for another minute to release the flavours.
- Add the mushrooms and a squeeze of lemon juice (this adds flavour and stops the mushrooms from sticking to the pan until they begin to release their juices). Cook for five minutes or so until the mushrooms are getting soft.
- While the mushrooms are cooking make up your stock with boiling water and the stock cube.
- Pour the stock over the mushrooms and cook until the stock has reduced by at least half. (this will take about 10 minutes and will appear to never dry up but trust me it does eventually!)
- Add the crème fraiche and cook for another 2 minutes or so until the sauce has thickened.
- Take the pot off the heat and season with a little salt and pepper. Chopped parsley can be really tasty to finish off!
- Rice is a great accompaniment.