Our teas are incredibly rich in Organic Uji Matcha, one of the world’s finest and most potent matchas but, what is matcha and why do we blend it into our detox tea?
Matcha is the strongest variety of green tea available, literally meaning ‘powdered tea’. Made from the best green tea leaves in Japan, genuine matcha is ground into very fine powder which is incredibly rich in nutrients. Its vibrant green colour develops naturally after being shaded during its final 2-3 weeks of growth - this process massively increasing the chlorophyll level (chlorophyll is what makes kale and spinach so good for you!) - it certainly looks healthy but what else makes it considered the ‘Champagne of green tea’?
- It is bursting with antioxidants. The antioxidants present in matcha include catechins, specifically a variant called EGCG which produces an abundance of antioxidants.
- The matcha used in Skinny Tea contains around 137 times more antioxidants than normal green tea.
- These antioxidants help the body in numerous ways, fighting infection, fighting against the negative effects of UV rays, helping nourish the skin and much more.
- One cup of matcha-rich tea contains as many antioxidants as you would find in many a green veggie-packed meal.
Weight Loss Wonder
- Matcha has incredible metabolism-boosting properties (thermogenesis), so it assists in weight loss by making the body burn fat more quickly.
- It also detoxes the body, helping to get rid of nasties that build up overtime, which can also contribute to weight gain.
- Another fat-fighting benefit is that it helps lower levels of cholesterol if consumed for sustained periods of time.
- The supercharged antioxidants also help control hunger pangs.
1. US National Library of Medicine - Tomonori Nagao, Tadashi Hase, and Ichiro Tokimitsu - 2007
- Matcha helps reduce stress due to the presence of amino acid of L-theanine that helps promote a feeling of tranquillity.
- It’s perfect to help you through a hard day at the office due to its memory and concentration boosting effects.
- It boosts energy levels due to its natural caffeine content combined with a combination of amino acids, resulting in a slow releasing energy boost. Together they produce a state sometimes referred to as an ‘alert calm’, not causing the short-term highs you might get from drinks like coffee but just a constant state of alertness.
- It is also brilliant for the winter months to help fight off infection as it strengthens the immune system as it contains high levels of vitamins, potassium, iron and calcium.
Are there any downsides to this miracle detox tea that has been drunk for over 2,500 years? We know not everyone likes the taste of green tea, and matcha is quite strong, which is why so many people are amazed to discover they've been drinking it as all our teas taste so good!
So a drink that helps you lose weight, purify the body and makes you feel good? We think it's definitely time to get the kettle on!